By Sherra Meyers
Hawks Cay is a charming gem on Duck Key, centrally located amongst the Florida Keys at Mile Marker 61, easily accessible whether you are flying, driving or arriving by boat. Only a one-hour drive from Key West International Airport and 90 miles from Miami International Airport, the drive from either location will be an exciting part of your honeymoon plans as the Overseas Highway was awarded one of America’s most scenic drives.
HERE’S THE SCOOP
Hawks Cay Resort is close enough to Key West to enjoy when desired yet delightfully far enough away to leave the hustle and bustle of tourists and crowds behind. With resort-wide activities you are sure to fill your time as inspired.
There are multiple options for resort accommodations. With poolside rooms to fully equipped 3-4 bedroom villas. All are decked out in a relaxed Caribbean feel with luxury linens and appointments.
Whether you are honeymooning or just getting away from it all. Hawks Cay is a destination in itself with the added bonus of feeling like you are in the Caribbean but you don’t have the added expense of international travel or need for passports. The best of both worlds!
WE SIMPLY ADORE
- Dolphin Connection…love, love, love. I found myself checking on them time and time again
- The large fire pit near the main pool, it’s a great place to hang in the evenings and meet other guests
- Biking around charming Duck Key
- SNUBA – a dive experience where you don’t need certification
GET THE DISH
No need to search outside of Hawks Cay for dining options. Alama features Latin dishes, refined and familiar, to satisfy all levels of eaters in a relaxed setting. Dinner only. Ocean boasts the best breakfast in the Florida Keys, an outstanding buffet and display of every breakfast from hot to cold selections. Yum! Also open seasonally for dinner. Beach Grill is an outdoor casual/poolside-dining alternative located between the main pool and lagoon for spectacular water views, Caribbean and American dishes. Coming soon, Anglers and Ale is the newest addition to the dining family at Hawks Cay, located at the Marina. Also on property are Island Time and The Coral Grill for quick grab and goes. If you feel like staying in, there is a grab and go grocery located at the Marina. If you feel like really stocking up there is a local grocer within a 20 minute drive.
OUT AND ABOUT
- If you love dolphins and can’t get enough, Hawks Cay Resort is home to its very own Dolphin Connection. The dolphin encounter will be an experience you will never forget
- Deep Sea Fishing Charters perfect for couples or small groups
- Scuba Dive (lessons available) or SNUBA will allow you to explore the only living coral reef system in the continental United States
- Sunset Cruises are not to be missed
- Watersports of all kinds, biking and tennis
NOTE TO SELF
- If you love the wind in your hair, now is the time to spend a little extra money and splurge for that convertible car rental.