- If you have never applied for a passport before, you will need to appear in person at a passport acceptance office, but if you have been issued a passport in the past 15 years, it is possible to apply by mail.
- To apply for a passport in person, you’ll need to provide form DS-11, proof of US citizenship (birth certificate or naturalization certificate), a photo ID (drivers license), passport photo, and fee payment (check or money order).
- Passport photos can usually be taken at Walgreens, CVS, UPS stores, Office Depot, and other chain retailers. The cost of the photograph is typically around $15.
- Though the passport application process is typically quite short and simple, it takes a while (routine service is 6-8 weeks) to arrive. If there is a problem with the photo or your documentation, it can take an additional few weeks to get your passport, so apply early!
- You can request expedited passport service (2-week service), but remember, complications may still occur, so planning ahead is always best!
- You can apply for a passport card rather than a passport book; however, the book is typically a better option because it is valid for international travel by air, land, or boat. Though the card costs less, a cardholder can only travel by land or sea and to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda.
Share the post "Our 6 Tips on When/Where to Get Your Passport"