Refined Southern Style
By: Lindsey Cross Lee
Located half a block off downtown Charleston’s bustling King Street sits the architectural masterpiece of The Restoration Hotel. The hotel has combined five buildings (some date back to the early 19th century while others are newly constructed) into a seamless collection of luxury guest rooms, gardens and common spaces. The Restoration Hotel has mastered the art of the details – from the art book estate library (their concierge is know as “the librarian”), artist in residency program that adorns the walls with original art, to the picnic basket of breakfast goodies outside your door each morning – they have created a refined luxury guest experience.
We Simply Adore
- The chic interior design of common spaces and suites with a subtle equestrian vibe
- Beekman 1802 products stocked in the bathroom
- The Watch: Rooftop and Spirits Restaurant – excellent food, charming atmosphere and spectacular views of downtown Charleston
- The Rise Coffee Bar – stop by this light and airy coffee shop for the perfect latte and pastry as you stroll down King Street
Out and About
- The Port Mercantile Store is no ordinary hotel shop. Located on the ground level of The Restoration Hotel, it features gorgeous trinkets, candles and books as well amazing art pieces that you’ll treasure for years. Many local finds are available too.
- Croghan’s Jewel Box is a Charleston institution. Just steps away on King Street, their friendly and knowledgeable staff will assist you in finding a gorgeous piece of jewelry or home accessory. There are many affordable pieces so don’t be intimidated to ring the bell.
- Candlefish is a beautiful candle shop with over 100 custom scents and they have candle-making classes available too. The perfect spot to pick up a few souvenir gifts that you will not want to give away.
- Palmetto Carriage Works offers wonderful horse and carriage tours. Their witty tour guides bring history to life. Stop by the famous outdoor market before or after your tour – its only a half a block away.
Big Day Details
- The Observatory on the top floor of The Restoration Hotel is an elegant space with floor-to-ceiling windows perfect for an intimate rehearsal dinner or wedding reception. The classic modern design and color palette are perfectly refined. You can expand your event to include The Watch: Rooftop and Spirits Restaurant (on the same floor) to include up to 150 guests for a seated dinner. There are several outdoor patio spaces for additional seating or cocktails.
- Rooftop residential suites are available for small events, luncheons, and other wedding weekend events. Two-bedroom and three-bedroom multi-level suites allow for guests to mix and mingle around large living spaces. Many have 14-foot ceilings and exposed brick wall detailing. The furnishings and interior design are second to none.
Here’s the Scoop
The design of The Restoration Hotel is a wonderful study of gorgeous Southern refinement. Although in the midst of dynamic downtown Charleston, the welcoming spaces of this hotel, including the shops, libraries and amazing restaurant will cause you linger longer than planned. You will want to come for your beautiful destination wedding and stay for your honeymoon. The level of service and convenience of location make this the perfect Charleston spot.