Urban Retro Accommodations in Austin
By Lynn Walker
Welcome to South Congress or what most Austonians call “SoCo”, a renewed hip and trendy neighborhood from the 1930s with legendary entertainment spots, quirky shops, casual eateries and authentic food trucks. Opening in the fall of 2015, The South Congress Hotel, is a newer build with all the modern conveniences but its ingenious design makes it look like it has been part of this retro neighborhood for decades. South Congress Hotel is a warm, welcoming, ultra-modern hotel with 83 guest rooms and suites with a minimalistic design style, decorated with custom furniture of leather, denim and dark woods against exposed brick and hardwood floors situated in the middle of everything! The prime positioning of this hotel gives guests the convenience to explore the area by foot or venture out on electric bikes from Faraday or motorcycle from Revival Cycles located on the property for rent.
Big Day Details
- There is over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor landscaped courtyards and garden space with the capabilities of accommodating over 450 people for a reception. The rooftop pool and bar overlooks South Congress Avenue with views of the downtown skyline and the State Capitol, perfect for a reception gathering. On-site catering adds to the versatility of the event space, and the staff to work with you on creating your vision.
GET THE DISH
- Central Standard – an American bar and grill with an extensive wine list open for dinner and brunch on Saturday and Sunday.
- Café No Sé – a trendy, California-style café featuring an eclectic, healthy-ish menu with some artistic delights that taste as good as they look.
- Otoko – an exclusive 12-seat sushi and kaiseki bar, where you must purchase tickets in advance, but well worth the wait.
We Simply Adore
- Friendly, helpful staff at the hotel from valet to the front desk to housekeeping, Bravo!
- Love the energy of the SoCo area. Great nightlife.
Here’s the Scoop
It’s all the buzz! Austin, Texas is the new “IT” place for a Southern destination wedding. With over 300 days of sunshine a year and the hip tech-savvy vibe, Generation Y or Millennium brides are discovering Austin to be the perfect destination for their upcoming nuptials and the SoCo area exudes that VIBE!
Take a look for yourself and see what The South Congress has to offer.